Cherries at 4am

posted on: Thursday, August 12, 2010



Sam and I went over to Brandon and Beka's last night (Sam's sister and her husband) for a meal of their amazing chicken curry with rice and naan bread! Our friend Yoosung who is a cellist was passing through last night on his way to DC so we all had a fabulous little get together!


My contractions were pretty steady and about 4-6 min apart. No biggie. I was hoping for some action but, getting my hopes set too high. As the evening waned on, my contractions kinda slowed and my heart got discouraged. This is going on day 2 of strong contractions during the day and next to none while I sleep. Sheesh.

I sat in my soon to be nursing rocking chair in our little living room and cried. More of those hormones flying around. It just hit me all at once. I felt discouraged that things weren't progressing . Even though in reality they are. My body may need to do a load of contractions one day and rest the next. My job is to just go with the flow...but sometimes it seems like my patience gets drained.

I went to bed, Samuel conked out and I was wide awake. I bought a new contraction counter on my iPhone and tried to sleep. I woke up around 4 am and pouted in the kitchen as I pigged out on cherries. There I stood in my jammies, scarfing down cherries mindlessly , "I may not even be in labor." I moaned to myself. Haha. So not true, but the doubt felt real as anything. All of a sudden thoughts of this pattern going on for days and weeks more overwhelmed me!

It's so funny how dramatic I realize I am the day after an episode like that. But, in the moment I feel like I'm in a whole of either elation or despair. :)

I'm headed off to The Milky Way to get some more prefolds that came in and some other goodies. I'm doing really good now...strong contractions but further apart. I'm going to take advantage of this break and enjoy my little, big bellied self.

Toodles dear friends.

7 thoughts:

  1. Hey Jess,
    I know it can be discouraging but just know that your body is doing exactly what it needs to (like you said). I have 4 myself and that is how I labored with every one of them. Contracting all day, and at night.... nothing. But the hour did come that I got to welcome my little bundle into the world and all of sudden those days of wondering were just a faded memory. I think I called my family several days in row (they live in VA)telling them to be prepared to come down. I look forward to reading about your progress!

    April

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jess,
    I know it can feel so discouraging, I labored the say way with 3 out of 4 of mine! Contracted for days thinking "this is it" only for them to go away at night... however the hour will come and this will just be a faded memory. (the discouragement part that is). I look forward to reading about your progess.
    April

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Jess. I can so relate. My first baby was 6 days late (well, 6 days after my due date) I was so disappointed, and so ready to have my baby. It was so hot in October 1983. I had finally decided that I was never going to have my little boy! (We didn't know at the time, that we were having a little boy!) Six days after my due date, I had a really weird day. I was extremely hot, with sweat pouring down my face and onto the china place setting of my English professors home, who had decided to give an all girls luncheon, formal style. I was so embarrassed at the sweat pouring off my face and actually dripping onto my place setting. I canceled a shopping trip with a good friend of mine, stating that I was just too tired to go. I rested all afternoon on my couch, no strength to do anything. My mom called, and told me that my grandmother was in the hospital, so I caught a ride with her and my dad, to go see her that evening. After visiting at the hospital, I came home, and continued to feel "flu" like. I called my doctor because I felt so horrible, and told him I thought I had the flu. I told him I felt like I was going to have diarrhea, and felt like I was going to throw up at the same time. I sat on the toilet to use the bathroom, but couldn't. When I wiped I noticed a Mucousy discharge. Great, I thought, a yeast infection on top of the flu. When the doctor heard that I was cramping, yet not producing anything, he told me to start timing my "cramps" and go ahead and come to the hospital. I went into my bedroom and told my husband, "Wow! I must be really sick, the doctor wants me to come to the hospital." I still had no clue that I was in labor. My husband took me to the hospital and 5 hours later, my cramps went away, and I had the most beautiful little boy in my arms. Now, why didn't I figure out that I must be in labor, after all, I was pregnant, and 6 days late! It just never crossed my mind. LoL!
    I know you are ready to meet your "little man", and it is going to happen, but in His time, not yours. Keep your chin up, let nature takes it's course, and give God all the glory for his beautiful creation. I promise it will be soon, you won't stay pregnant with this baby the rest of your life, even though at this point you certainly may feel like you will be. I love reading your blog, you make me smile. I can't wait to hear your baby's name, and see pictures. I want you to know that I've been praying for you everyday! Love you, precious girl~ deb <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh no biggie april! :) i've totally done that before! :) i don't mind at all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess....Our first, Preston's sister Genny, was 6 wks late! that was in the day we ironed our nighties...so had unpacked my suitcase twice and reironed! ha! My Original Due date was Sept 14..she came Oct 25th! weird. But she came within hrs of Bernie jumping up and down on the couch a few times beside me ..in front of the picture window!Never did hear if anyone ever saw him! ANyway, I never had the luxery of "timing" my contractions...started about 2-3 minutes apart and never quit until she was born. Had deep inside pains, like they were up my rectum...never the tummy tightening I was expecting! Each is different... When it was all over, my thought was...WOW...that was exciting! Always thought it was going to get worse and pretty soon it was over! Anxious to hear how your's will go..surely you'll share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the contractions, I am glad they are getting farther in between! I am following you on the friday blog hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You poor thing! Your a strong woman! Start and stop contractions are both physically and emotionally draining!!
    The good thing is you can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Every little stitch of pain is SO worth it, soon you will have your little baby in your arms to cuddle and kiss!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts...