Letters Of Love: Ink

posted on: Thursday, March 8, 2012


Another amazing video my guy, Samuel created for us. 


For quite a long time, Sam and I had been throwing around the idea of one day getting matching tattoos that said, "i love him" and "i love her." Neither one of us had ever gotten a tattoo before, so it was kind of a big decision. We thought about it for a couple of years and finally decided we really wanted to do it. The style had to be unique, simple and romantic. Being a girl who has a secret passion for certain styles of tattoo art, I knew what I liked and what I didn't like. I was super attracted to script tattoos that weren't your standard font, but handwritten and a tad messy. I constantly was writing our idea out on paper, on our arms and our wrists with sharpie or ink pens, trying to narrow down placement and size. I was thinking maybe my own handwriting might work? But, I'm pretty critical of anything I sketch or create and knew I wouldn't want to look down at my arm and see my  own penmanship permanently inked there. Once it's there, it's there baby. I'd find something about my handwriting that I'd want to change. When I settled into this realization, the hunt began. 

I've admired the work of  wedding calligrapher Mara, from Neither Snow for a couple of years. She's been featured on all the big wedding blogs. She is seriously just so AMAZING and inspiring.  So, when I found out that she occasionally designs tattoos for clients, I got really excited. Her style was exactly what I had in my mind. It is light and breezy and very unique. I can be on any blog and know when I see Mara's work. Her style makes me feel like Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice who just finished a quickly written love letter or something.  I presented the idea to Sam and he agreed that her style was perfect for us. I contacted Mara and set up a tattoo appointment around the time of our anniversary! Which was the fall of last year. 

We couldn't be more pleased with how they turned out! My left arm now has "i love him" imprinted on it and Sam's has "i love her." We were originally going to have them much smaller but realized the calligraphy wouldn't be as dramatic on a tiny scale. So, Sam decided at the tattoo parlor that we should go big or go home. ha.

My heart is so happy when I look down at my arm. I get little flutters of romantic artsy-ness. We did this because we're crazy and in love. It's one of my favorite things that we've ever done together and will always be a sweet memory of our friendship and the heart romance I share with this guy named Samuel. ;) 


To see a ton more of Mara's calligraphy go to her website, CLICK HERE! 



You know, a couple of weeks after we got these, we found out we were pregnant with baby Windland, who we lost in November. There were moments when I would be grasping for goodness in the middle of confusion. The simple nothing of a tattoo with the words, "i love him" permanently scribbled on my arm would in a small way remind me of love. The love that Sam and I have, even in hard times. I'm always amazed at how things effect my heart in moments when I don't expect them to. Who would have thought a tattoo of all things could do something like that? 




55 thoughts:

  1. I love this. a lot. and while I'm currently in the "probably never ever will I get a tattoo" camp... something like this, something beautiful that makes you feel good and means something, something that you share? that's all sorts of wonderful. something like that could change my mind, someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my husband and i have our wedding bands tattooed, and six years later i still can't help but smile every time i look down. :)

    i love the font of your tattoo! it looks so romantic and whimsical (and yet masculine enough for sam) all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are seriously so beautiful.
    did you get your buttons done after that? those are really cute, too.
    i've been trying to think of a good husband/wife tattoo for us, as well. something subtle but meaningful. i love what you guys chose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i got my buttons on my birthday trip to the mountains in december. :) i'm going to share that story soon too. :)

      Delete
  4. These are absolutely gorgeous. You can see the love in the tattoo, both in words and in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! Hubby & I are getting matching tattoo's soon. We have finally decided on what we wanted and it's going to be amazing to have something like this that we share. I love yalls tattoo's & what they say. Perfect reminder everyday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVED this video! So so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are perfect for you guys, thanks for sharing Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing. I adore these tattoos and would love to get something in this vein with my husband. I'm so glad that your tattoo provides you with love and support, just as your husband does.

    Kacie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw this on Pinterest but didn't realise they were actually yours! I love them so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This got my heart... I smiled from ear to ear as I watched this video. His talent in making movies it truly unique and captures the moment in a way that a simple photo can not. Your tattoo's are beautiful... so is your love.

    Bekah~

    ReplyDelete
  12. great video sam!
    love it
    so sweet.
    love you gatlyns :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is amazing!! love the video! and the tattoo's are perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Jess, that is all kinds of lovely and beautiful. I adore it to the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So gorgeous. That script is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sam is so talented!! you are blessed to have these beautiful artful little memories!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is just absolutely beautiful. I love everything about this post, its honesty and its affection. Love this

    ReplyDelete
  18. O and PS... You know this will be ALL over Pinterest soon now lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So beautiful, and I adore the story behind it!! My hubs and I have 7 tattoos each, and each one was carefully thought of. I too, was in the "never ever get a tattoo camp" and...well that changed hehe! I believe ink is a beautiful expression of self and story :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jess, I have never commented on your blog (even after seeing my bro-in-law's sister in the last party video you posted)but have to today.....While I have no tatoos & usually find them a bit trashy, I am actually drawn to yours! Soooo beautiful and classy! Love them both and will be sharing with friends. Now, about that video....Becca was at the party with her daughters Rose & Pearl...do you know them? My sister lives in Charlotte (near Blakeney)...just neat how you stumble upon a blog, you stalk it for a while & then see people you know in the videos! Have a happy day!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fun!!! Yeah, I know Becca and her sweeties! Small world!!!! crazy! You are so sweet! thanks SO much for commenting-i think it's so crazy when worlds collide and get super small. :) love it! <3

      Delete
  21. So perfect and beautiful! I have a rose tattoo on my back that says "my lover is mine and I am his" I love having it on me! It reminds me of my hubby and I's love!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so beautiful! I actually saw this picture on pinterest but didn't realize it was yours! That's so perfect for you two! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these tattoos, how lovely! I also had a great time looking through your blog :)
    happy weekend
    tereza

    ReplyDelete
  24. so beautiful i love the writing style

    ReplyDelete
  25. i just got a tattoo this weekend as well :) those are beautiful! something that my fiance and i are thinking of doing too!

    casey

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have always wanted to do this with my husband, ah!! I LOVE everything about this post and the fact that your hubby made this sweet video for you both to remember the day. Precious <3

    ReplyDelete
  27. Joel and I plan on getting matching tattoos at some point too. I love them (granted, not all of them). I love her style of calligraphy- its so uniquely her own. It almost looks like its embroidered. : ) LOOOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  28. what a beautiful reminder! your relationship is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those tattoos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ahhhh! What a beautiful, beautiful way to honor your sweet love! Oh, this is just wonderful... *happy sigh* <3 And what lovely photos/video! My hubby and I have kicked around the idea doing something similar, but aren't sure yet just how we'll end up going about it. :) Thank you so much for sharing this! Love to you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  31. The small 'i' is intensely annoying. I like them apart from that.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, your tattoos are beautiful. :) I love them!

    My hubby and I got each other's names tattooed to fit under our wedding bands last summer and I think I love that little tattoo more than the larger one on my back, simply because of it's meaning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am absolutely in love with how beautiful that video is- I cried. what a sap. It's so romantic and the song is perfect. how amazing! I am waiting for the day my husband and I save up enough money to finally get our tattoo's dedicated to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi,

    this is awesome. can you pls tell me which font is this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually isn't a font...mara from www.neithersnow.com wrote it out for us. she is an AMAZING calligrapher. :)

      Delete
  35. Her work ~ and your story ~ is truly heartfelt! P(e)ace to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  36. First let me just say, I love your tattoos! Her style is exactly what I am looking for. I want my son's name, but I don't want it to look like every other name tattoo out there, this is beyond perfect! I do plan on contacting Mara but do you mind me asking what she charges to write something like this up for someone?! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts...