Charlie and Nell

posted on: Friday, April 6, 2012

I love to sew. It was a fabulous friendship that started when I was 11, the year my great-grandma moved in with us. With her came the most amazing stories, sweet smiles, memories and TONS of sewing goodies. Fabrics, needles, hundreds of buttons, old patterns and tomato pin cushions, asked to be my friend that year. Nellie, my "Nama" sewed all my mom and aunt's clothes for them growing up.  She also made every grand and great grandchild a quilt or two and you could rest assured you were getting a hand stitched something for christmas. She was the coolest. From then on, I would find myself  in my room for hours, figuring out how to stitch bonnet sue's onto old muslin and piecing together the doll patterns my Nama had used and saved. That's where my love for it all began and so it seemed fitting to name my little shop venture after her and my great-grandpa Charlie.

Say hello to a few of my "Charlie & Nell" dollies! ( 2 more little ladies will be added to the store in the morning. ) Kael has a couple of the bearded lads and LOOOOOVES them. They are almost his size so he always tries to make them walk beside him which is the cutest. We call his "Mr. Bow-tie" because of a mustard bow tie I added to it for him. So, they are great for guys or gals. :)

I've decided to just sell what I have as I make them instead of waiting for myself to finish a huge bulk stock. I quickly realized that if I waited til then, it would never really happen. :)

I created the pattern, and lovingly create each one uniquely from vintage fabrics,  trims and recycled materials! I will continue to add more as I make them. :) I'm starting off on Goodsie, but might switch to Etsy later. I've never sold anything online before, just to friends and from word of mouth so, this is all new to me. I'm learning as I go! Thanks for encouraging me!

Enjoy!



22 thoughts:

  1. those are simply adorable, Jess! wonderful work (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. How amazingly creative! So glad you have a shop now :) I might just hop on over and buy some here soon!!

    -Tory
    Life As We Know It

    ReplyDelete
  3. would you consider making one look like my little lady for her 6th birthday? She is so in love with little dolls like this and for it to be made by your hands would mean so much more. <3 this is so exciting and you are so darn talented, you inspire me a ton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely! i've done that for some orders for friends before! :) you are SO kind and way too dang sweet to say that! thank you!!! <3

      Delete
  4. They are beautiful! I love the story that goes along with their creation :) I have a close relationship with my great-grandma too. They do have the most amazing stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cute! you are really talented and creative. :) praying God's blessings and favor upon the works of your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dolls are fabulous, nice work. I think they would sell great on Etsy too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi there! I'm a new reader, just wanted to say hi and that these are FABULOUS dolls. Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the embroidered tattoos! They are so beautifully detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the embroidered tattoos! Such beautiful detail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. eeeee i am so excited about these!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE!!!! so exciting! you know i am a huge fan of these dollies! cant wait to have my own! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jess I love them! I have been wanting to get a handmade doll for Piper. These are perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So excited!!! I can see Miss Bries needing a little dollie in her future... :D The back story to the dolls is so heartwarming! Both my great-grandmothers passed when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh... I call my grandma "Nama" too... LOVE that nickname!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are incredibly adorable and quirky. I want to be friends with these dolls! Thanks for sharing... will keep these guys and gals in mind for gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How exciting! I'm nearly 11 weeks pregnant, and once I find out the sex (so excited, by the way) I would live to buy one of these. I'll have to save up my pennies for the next few weeks, ha :) Hope you had a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love them! What a fun hobby to have. I need to work on my sewing skills. My grandma taught me, but since she passed away I don't really have anyone to help me work on it. Might have to venture out on my own ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shut. UP. These are absolutely the most adorable things I've ever seen. LITERALLY the cutest ever. It makes me want to hurry up and have a kid so I can buy them. Heck, I'll get one for me! HAHA. What a talent, you go girl :)

    Brooke

    thebebebirds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts...